Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Good Shepherd



John 10:10 KJV
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

A thief uses the necessary tools to get the job done quickly and effectively.  Professional thieves spend time in preparation learning and scoping out the mark and location, learning their habits, finding their weakest points.  They want to be prepared for any eventuality.  They lay in wait until the timing is perfect.  And then they strike. 

Satan is a thief.  He comes to steal.  He comes to kill. He comes to destroy. And he will use whatever means necessary to accomplish his tasks.  Satan uses grief, worry, anger, frustration, doubt, jealously, bitterness, and fear as tools at his disposal.  He uses our emotions against us.  He uses the burdens in our lives to tear us down and then he will strike.  He comes to steal our joy, to kill our faith and to destroy our lives.  I have dealt with this firsthand numerous times in my life.  Worry has always been my biggest downfall.  Satan knows that and he uses it time and time again to sneak his way in, just as a thief would.

To protect our homes, our families, our possessions, we take precautions and put up safeguards against intruders and thieves in the night. We install security systems, we keep firearms, we purchase safes.  All so that we may feel secure in our homes.

How do we protect our hearts?  

We turn to The Good Shepherd.  He has come so that we may have life, and have it abundantly.

John 10:11 KJV
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:27-28 KJV
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

It has taken many years and many trials and tribulations, through which Satan has done his everlovin' best to steal my joy, kill my faith, and destroy my life, for me to learn to turn to Christ with my worry and my doubt and my fear.  I still stumble and it is not always easy but when I turn to Him, He is my Peace, my Solace, my Comfort.  Through Him I have eternal life and nothing here on this earth can pluck me out of His hand.  I am safe and secure.

We must safeguard and protect our hearts and our faith against Satan just as we would our homes and families against intruders.  The only way to do this is to turn to Christ before the intruder strikes.  Accepting Christ as our Savior does not mean that we will never face hardships, but it does mean that we will have Comfort in the times of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment