Monday, August 4, 2014

Fruits of the Spirit: Love


Galatians 5:16-25 KJV
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Love Is:
A sacrificial choice (1 John 3:16) of words accompanied by actions (1 John 3:18), regardless of attraction or response (Romans 5:8) generated by God not by one's self (John 21:15-18).
To avoid spoiling watch for apathy.

1 John calls us to lay our lives down for our brethren, to show our love by our actions and deeds rather than empty words. If you ask any Momma you know whether she'd give her life to save her child's I guarantee she'd say yes in a heart beat, without a moment's hesitation. It's a decision that requires no thought. We would do whatever it took, even giving our lives, to save our children from death, from sickness, from pain and suffering. Ask us to give our life to save a neighbor, a fellow church member, a complete stranger, and you'll see us hesitate, trying to decide how to tactfully say no without sounding heartless. Ask us whether we would send our children to certain death to spare another's life and once again the hesitation is gone and you'll hear a resounding "NO". 

Can you imagine a parent sending their only child to die a brutal death at the hands of an angry mob to save the life of another? What about the lives of hundreds? Thousands? Just one death to save so many others. It seems inconceivable. A nightmare to even imagine. And yet I know a Father who made just that choice. And even more unbelievable? I know the Son who willingly gave His life.  He gave His life to save mine. To save my children and my husband. To save your life and your children. And He did so out of the purest form of love ever imaginable.

Love is a sacrificial choice accompanied by words AND actions. It would not have been enough for that Son to say "Yes Father, I will lay down my life for my brethren" and then run like mad for the hills, never to be seen again. It took the words and the actions. That Son stood before the angry mob and uttered no words of self defense, He did not need rope or chains to bind Him down. If He had fought, kicking and screaming to get away from the crowd, His actions would have spoken far less of sacrificial love and far more of reluctance and aversion. He took a beating so severe it like to have killed Him and then He carried the very weapon that would kill Him up Golgatha's hill.

He then laid down on the weapon, two slabs of wood fashioned together to form a cross, and as He laid there, unbound, without trying to escape, already in pain, weak, and near death from the scourging, Roman soldiers hammered nails, likened to railroad spikes, through His hands and through His feet. Once nailed to the cross He was hoisted into the air to hang on the cross, His entire body weight supported by those 3 nails piercing His hands and feet. 

Crucified.

A Father's only begotten Son, crucified, to save you and I, while we were yet sinners and so unworthy and undeserving. And all He asks of us? Lovest thou me...

Lovest Thou Me
(Elaine W. Deyton, 1982)

God's great redemption plan came before the world began 
How He would send His Son to die to save you and I 
And at the shedding of His blood He confessed of His love 
And all He asks of thee is lovest thou me

Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me more than these 
All the world and it's riches can never supply your needs
Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me 
Lovest thou me more than these

His love was so deep the nail couldn't reach 
And the thorns on His brow didn't lessen love's great power 
And as He died on the cross that old devil had surely lost 
And all He asks of thee is lovest thou me

Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me more than these 
All the world and it's riches can never supply your needs
Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me 
Lovest thou me more than these

He's gone to prepare a place for those saved by His grace 
And through your faith and love He'll be returning from above 
To take us to a land not touched by mortal man 
And all He asks of thee is lovest thou me

Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me more than these 
All the world and it's riches can never supply your needs 
Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me more than these 
Lovest thou me 
Lovest thou me more than these


No comments:

Post a Comment