Monday, August 18, 2014

Fruits of the Spirit: Longsuffering



Galatians 5:16-25 KJV
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Longsuffering Is:
A learned attitude (Colossians 1:11) revealed through a joyful willingness (James 1:2) to remain under difficulty (James 1:3-4) in order to learn God's lessons (James 5:11). 

To avoid spoiling watch for an unwillingness to submit.

Colossians 1:11 KJV 
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; 

James 1:2-4 KJV 
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 
3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. 

James 5:11 KJV 
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. 

I am impatient and stubborn to a fault. I want things done my way and I want them done now. 

The Lord obviously has a sense of humor, otherwise He'd not have blessed me with the most curious, inquisitive, free spirited, independent, stubborn, wild and wonderful boys that He did. And they try what very little patience I have day in and day out. I heard once that you're never supposed to pray for patience because the Lord will answer that prayer with opportunities to practice patience. Unfortunately I heard it a prayer or two too late. And my prayer probably went something like this, "Lord, please give me patience. And give it to me right now!"

And if I am lacking in patience, you can certainly guarantee I'm far from longsuffering. Because patience is not about how long someone can wait. It's about how they behave while they wait.

patience, noun:
the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

longsuffering, adjective:
having or showing patience in spite of troubles, especially those caused by other people.

I wear my heart on my sleeve. Every emotion I have crosses my face. I'd be a terrible poker player, an even worse actress, and a laughable liar. So having and showing patience in spite of troubles, especially those caused by other people is hard for me. This makes my life difficult at times because motherhood isn't easy.  I am not the perfect Momma I always thought I'd be. I'm not raising perfect boys though sometimes I treat them as though they ought to be. It is hard not to let my frustration, irritation, and anger get the best of me at times and it's even harder not to let it color my judgement when it comes to my wild boys. But I desperately do not want them to remember me as an ill and hateful Momma. I am with them day in and day out, we're rarely apart. It will be me at the forefront of their memories and I need to fill them with love and mercy and grace. The same love, mercy and grace that Christ extends to me when I make mistakes, am slow to listen and unwilling to submit.


Longsuffering is a learned attitude. That is why the Lord gives us so many opportunities to practice it. And we must have a joyful willingness to have ourselves tested, even in difficult times because an unwilling heart will spoil the fruit and we cannot learn God's lesson for us. We certainly give the Lord ample opportunity to practice longsuffering with us.

The Fruits of the Spirit build one upon the other. I believe there is a reason the Holy Ghost inspired Paul to list the Fruits in the order he did. At the time Paul was writing, the Galatian churches were facing a double threat, involving purity of doctirne and purity of conduct. The Fruits are characteristics displayed in the life of a Christian who is justified by faith alone.  Longsuffering is built upon peace that is built upon joy that is built upon the Love of our Savior.

John 15:1-8 KJV
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

To bear our Fruit we must abide in the Vine, the source of our love, joy, peace and longsuffering, because without Him we can do nothing. We will wither.

No comments:

Post a Comment