Monday, September 8, 2014

Fruits of the Spirit: Meekness




Galatians 5:16-25 KJV

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Meekness Is:
A tender spirit purposefully expressed (Romans 2:4) and sacrificially given (Ephesians 2:7) especially to the undeserving (Titus 3:4).


To avoid spoiling watch for a judgmental spirit.

You wouldn't think that meekness would be such a difficult characteristic to try to maintain. After all, how hard is it to be nice to someone? Well, sometimes it can be extremely difficult. I believe that is why it is 8th in line behind love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness and faithfulness. We've got to get those down pat before we can truly have a meek spirit to all those we encounter, even those we deem undeserving of kindness.

Anyone who knows me knows that the sun rises and sets in my boys as far as I'm concerned. I love them more than words can possibly express. I prayed and begged God for them, because there was a dark time in my life when I didn't think my heart would ever be whole again. And if you know me, you'll know that I have two of the roughest, rowdiest, rambunctious boys you've ever seen. I've called Brandon or my Momma in tears more times than I can count because I've been overwhelmed, maxed out, done in.  I've sat and cried out to God over and over for help, guidance, and direction in learning how to teach them, discipline them, and love them without breaking their beautiful spirits.

And this morning God graced me with an answer. He broke my heart in utter conviction. 

My hard to handle boys are not my problem. I am.

My boys need me to have a tender spirit purposefully expressed and sacrificially given. Not my bad attitude. Not my temperamental mood swings. If I can show meekness to a rank stranger on the street then I am capable of showing it to my family, the ones who ought to be the easiest to be kind to.

But it's not always easy. Being a Momma means being on call 24/7, no sick days, no vacation days. There is the occasional night spent at Poppa and Nanna's but our time apart is rarely spent on relaxation. So I do get frustrated and overwhelmed at times and I find myself being hateful and ill with the ones I love the most. 

Today the Lord has shown me that in writing this series on the Fruits of the Spirit, my heart and soul have been changing. I find myself being more purposeful in my actions and words than I was before. I am less quick to fly off the handle when Devlin throws a whole roll of toilet paper in the toilet or when Kieran mimics my own stubborn attitude. They deserve my kindness, perhaps more than any other, because in my kindness, in my meekness dwells Christ, the only true kind man that ever was or ever will be. I must be intentional in my walking and living in the Spirit so that I am leading by example, teaching my boys that I not only talk like a follower of Christ but that I live like one too. I must teach them what it means to be a Christian so that when the Holy Ghost beckons them they will answer without hesitation. If my actions were to ever hinder their salvation in any way I would be devastated. 

I must show them that they should never mistake meekness for weakness for it is in the moments that we apply meekness that our strength is revealed. We must be kind to those we believe undeserving of it, we must sacrifice our pride to do it if necessary, we must forsake the judgmental spirits, we must be kind to everyone we meet because they are each fighting a hard battle we know nothing about. We must strive to live as much like Christ Jesus as possible because it was His tender spirit that was purposefully expressed in the ultimate sacrifice to the most undeserving of sinners, you and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment